What are the signs of failed state?
CHARACTERISTICS OF FAILED STATES
* Law and order count for dust.
* Militias, private armies and anarchists rule the roost.
* No one is safe - the poor, the rich, women, men, children.
* People are forced to buy security and "protection."
* Corruption, drug and human trafficking, wheeling and dealing become
the "normal" way of life.
* Fixed assets are liquidated (e.g. bonds, stock market, derivatives)
* Everyone leaves in fear of their neighbours
* Inability to administer national exams
* Violence in various parts of the country - Kuresoi, Mathare, Pokot,
Turkana, where next?
* Artur & Artur circus
* Chaterhouse Bank and all these cases of drug trafficking
* Minister for Security feeling insecure
* Latest Transparency International ranking
* Many, many, more.
Are we headed towards being a failed state? Remember that poor women in
Mathare, child dying in her hands as she watches in of cold and rain.
This is not an issue of ruling party (if there be one). It is about institutions of state.
Inyalo oro twak kod weche manyien ne: Mig. Ajos wuod Atiga
GALAMORO : Riwruok mar JOLUO e Piny Ngima, orwaku uduto mondo ubed e kanyakla mar burani. Ornwa nyingi gi nondi kaka obedo. Riwruok e teko joka Nyanam.
Copyright © 1999-2006, Jaluo dot com
All Rights Reserved